Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Sister's Hope Chest & a DIY

Happy Thursday! Today I'm super excited to introduce you to Liz! She has a cute shop with scrapbook goodness and sweet handmade cards. She also blogs about crafting... which I love. duh :) So of course you'll be shopping BUT in case you want to MAKE a gift you're in luck too! Liz has a DIY tutorial. Woo! Enjoy.
Hello All! I’m so excited to be guest posting today here on Go Greeno, and to have my shop included in Ashley’s Christmas Bazaar. In my Etsy shop, My Sister’s Hope Chest, you will find mini scrapbooks, cards, accessories and a few other odds and ends. I love scrapbooks and paper crafts, and am very open to custom orders as well!

I love that Ashley is encouraging handmade gifts for Christmas! Aside from the projects in my shop, I try to be creative in other ways too. On my blog, Here’s to Handy Andy, I share projects that I’ve tried in hopes that I can show others how easy it is to create fun projects on your own. This year, just like Ashley, I’m going to try to buy or make most of my Christmas gifts. I got started early this year (well, early for me) and already completed the names blocks I planned to make for my adorable nephew’s room. And, just in case you know someone who would love something like this, here’s a tutorial:

Nursery Name Blocks




Here are the supplies I used:



1. Wood blocks (varied sizes, lightly sanded and cleaned) – mine were cut from a 3x3 post
2. Cricut Personal Cutting Machine and font cartridge
3. Coordinating scrapbook paper
4. Mod Podge and brush
5. Paper Cutter
6. Other embellishments (ribbons, buttons, etc)

First I used my Cricut to cut out my nephew’s name in red paper – you can also use the adhesive backed vinyl, but I couldn’t find red so I went with paper. I chose red, black and football-themed paper to match my nephew’s nursery. Then I cut out paper to cover the faces of the blocks. I arranged the paper and letters the way I liked and glued them on and brushed Mod Podge all over the layers. After that, I decided where to use the ribbon and buttons.



Once the Mod Podge dried, I hot glued the ribbon and buttons where I liked and then it was done!



So cute, personal and easy! And you could also make this as a gift for a newly married couple or family, using their last name instead. I bet this would be a cute decoration to give to someone on YOUR Christmas list!

Thanks Ashley for hosting me today!

2 comments:

  1. Cute idea! A perfect personal gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this & how it turned out. :)

    Liz, you should re-feature this on your blog too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...