Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fair Trade

I don't tend to be outspoken about much.
Actually I'm usually pretty go-with-the-flow.
But I'm working on taking a stronger stance on the things that really matter.

Lately, I have really been convicted about the way we spend our money.
We try to be good stewards, but I'm realizing that doesn't just mean being cheap.
The cheapest thing isn't always the healthiest or in alignment with my beliefs and priorities.

So what to do?

Well I'm praying. I'm figuring it out slowly.
I'm sharing it here because I would love to work through it with some input.

I have a bad tendency to jump into things I can't stay committed to so...
I'm taking it one step at a time :)

(picture from the Fair Trade website: http://fairtradeusa.org)
First up: Fair Trade.
I've known about fair trade coffee & I usually try to choose it but haven't made it a big priority.
Then I read this. And this.
Please find a couple minutes to read these blog posts.
They are so eye-opening & it's impossible for me to learn about kids being treated like slaves...
So I can have cheap candy bars and coffee.
I pray that your heart will be broken along with mine and that we can commit together.
I've been researching the best place to find fair trade coffee, sugar and chocolate.
The official website has tons of information and resources.

October is even Fair Trade month!

"We believe the rise of the Conscious Consumer will cause a fundamental shift in the way companies do business and create a historic opportunity to reward companies that embrace sustainability."

This quote is from the Fair Trade USA website and is so motivating to me.
It's so easy to go on not knowing better.
But the damage is still being done. We need to be conscious consumers!
Being a good steward of our money means being fair and just in the way we spend it.

Sugar Mama Bakeshop baked goods and mixes are already made with fair trade cane sugar.
I'm working on switching over to only using fair trade cocoa and powdered sugar as well.
I would like this to become part of my business plan and mission statement.

Do you do fair trade? Any tips? Anyone interested in committing to this with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...